Big Blue Row Slide Show

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2011 01 03 Agadir by Angela

2011 01 03 Agadir by Angela

All of the crew have their own stories about this place , some good, some bad. Its not all bad here. They have a lovely surf beach. Some people are being helpful and some only helpful for money or dh. They hold things hostage for money so even if there is an agreed price it will always be renegotiated. The boat has cost more money, the crane cost more money. Everything about this has cost more and added more difficulty to the project.
It has been eight days now since they chose not to bring me my wheelchair and subsequently lost it at JFK terminal  1.  We are debating as to whether or not to place a Royal Air Moroc decal on the boat. David had spoke to them about waiving luggage overages for the  crew and that was to be a value equal to minimum sponsor package but no one on the crew received luggage overage waiver except David which does not make it to the level of sponsorship required. So they are just like everyone else in the world and want something for nothing and we are still not sure who is responsible for the lost luggage and lost wheelchair.  Searching for both and being without is being positively dealt with by the crew who are trying to make other arrangements to get the rowing kit items that they will need on the boat.
The loss of my wheelchair was never due to weather or blizzard. It would not be lost if they had not refused to put a gate check tag on it and refused to bring it to me when they took me off the plane. When they knew we were not going, they had employees there who could have easily brought it to me. Instead, they chose to tell me to “suck it up”
I think I have done a fabulous job of Sucking it up but as it has been 8 days I can honestly say they have not done so well at doing their part. It does not really matter the who’s, whens and whys of it all or who is at fault, it’s a matter of who will be the most competent at finding it and getting it to me.
Airport wheelchairs are not made for independent use any place in the world. It is better than not having a chair at all but I have to allow someone to push me, something that is extremely difficult for me. I know the time will come when I will need assistance, but this is not the time!
 Here in Morocco the taxi drivers won’t pick you up in a chair. A couple of times we got in the cab while the drivers were taking payment by previous fare and their backs were turned. I took my suitcase with boat kit to the boat unloaded it and was returning to the apartment with empty bags. One of my crew haled the cab then the cab driver began protesting as he saw that I was the passenger, then he complained about the luggage. He refused to turn on the meter and wanted an agreed upon fare because of the wheelchair and luggage so Sylvain who speaks French arranged price of 25 dh. I was in cab, crappy chair on top, bags inside- no room for anyone to go with me, so I go alone.  Made it up the road out of eyesight of my crew and the cab driver pulled over and asked me for all the money I had in my hand as if he would dump me if I did not make that advanced payment of 40dh. I thought he would give me change of 15dh when I got to the apartment.
At the apartment Deb, Liz and Aleksa  got the luggage and the cabbie made a hand gesture at me and drove off. I have not been in a cab since. If I had my wheelchair I would be able to push to the other side of the port safely. It is what it is.
David is making a lot of progress with the boat and the crew is working on food as planned. We hope to be putting the boat in the water on Wednesday. Logistically our apartment is located at the Marina so it will be much easier for me to access and once I am on the boat, all will be well with the world. The Veterans Affairs Department had been arranging for me to get a new wheelchair and I don’t bring my wheelchair on the boat just to sit and row so it will all be ok. I worry more that the crew won’t get luggage items that they need on the boat.
It will be ok and we will row on the 8th hopefully with no delays
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment